Sheriff Al Nienhuis is pleased to announce the installation of a permanent drug drop-off boxs located at these three locations:
- Main office located at 18900 Cortez Boulevard, Brooksville (Regular Business Hours)
- District 2 office located at 7499 Forest Oaks Blvd, Spring Hill (Regular Business Hours)
- Hernando County Detention Center located at 16425 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill (24 Hours)
Citizens are now able to properly dispose of unwanted, unused, and/or expired prescription and over the counter medications as well as veterinarian prescriptions.
The drop-off box is available in the main lobby of the Sheriff’s Office during normal business hours. There is no cost to drop off unwanted/unused medications.
Sheriff Al Nienhuis said, “While attending community events, I am often asked when the next drug disposal event will occur. Because of this constant need, I felt it important to provide our citizens with a year round location where they can dispose of unwanted medications, especially those that might be tempting to a drug abuser. I hope that every citizen makes an effort to partner with us by turning in their unneeded, potentially addictive and/or dangerous drugs in an effort to take them out of their houses and off the streets.”
The new permanent drug drop-off box will provide another option for Hernando County residents to safely dispose of unwanted/unused medications. It will provide an increased awareness of prescription drug abuse and help keep potentially dangerous drugs out of the wrong hands.
The following items cannot be disposed of in the drop-off box and can be disposed of at the locations listed below:
- Needles, Sharps, and/or Syringes – Please take to the landfill at 14450 Landfill Road in Brooksville only.
- Any Liquids – Please take to the landfill at 14450 Landfill Road in Brooksville only.
- Inhalers - Please take to the landfill at 14450 Landfill Road in Brooksville only.
Please keep in mind that the drop off box located inside the lobby at the Sheriff’s Office is small. If you have a very large quantity of unwanted medications, it may be best to go directly to a landfill near you, as we are unable to handle more than a few bottle at a time.